Apply for a Lifetime ISA
Before applying, please remember:
- You must be aged 18 – 39 to open a Lifetime ISA (LISA)
- It can only be used by a first time buyer to purchase a home under £450,000, or for retirement from age 60
- There is a government penalty for withdrawing funds for any other purpose
- If using your LISA for retirement, you should be self-employed or already maximising contributions to a workplace scheme, otherwise you could miss out on employer contributions
- LISA savings could affect your entitlement to means-tested benefits
- This a medium to long term investment so if you intend to purchase your first home within the next 3 years, you should consider whether a cash LISA may be more suitable
- Direct Debits or lump sum investments must be paid from a UK bank account
To follow HMRC’s Lifetime ISA rules, if you’re approaching your 40th birthday, consider starting your LISA with a lump sum payment, to ensure the money is in your plan before you turn 40, as the first Direct Debit payment may not be taken for 4 – 6 weeks after applying.
You can also move money from another Lifetime ISA or a Help To Buy ISA by selecting the Transfer option when applying online, then print and return the Transfer form provided to us by post so we can process your transfer request. If you would prefer to do this just by post, please call us on 0800 622 417 so we can send the forms you’ll need.
Our Lifetime ISA is provided by Foresters Friendly Society, which owns POIS. When you begin your application, you’ll be taken to the Foresters Friendly Society secure application page.
Opening a Lifetime ISA
with a lump sum from £500 or from £50 per month
What will I need to apply online?
- Your National Insurance Number
- UK bank account name, number and sort code – if you wish to set up a monthly payment
- Your debit card details – lump sum payments can only be made via a debit card which must be in your name and linked to a UK bank account